Skip to content



Q. How do I go about getting my club, business, group etc. on the Charlton Horethorne website?
A.    Please contact the Website Administrator here and give full details of what you would like to include.    Applications to be included on the website are normally only accepted from residents or businesses in the village of Charlton Horethorne or from within the parish.

Q.   Do you charge for inclusion on the website ?
A.    The charges for inclusion on the website are as follows:

Local Groups page (voluntary or charitable groups):
Up to 25 words giving basic details                                                 Free
Link page of up to 250 words with photos                                     £25.00 per annum

Local Groups page (groups run for profit):
Up to 25 words giving basic details                                                £10.00 per annum
Basic details plus link page of up to 250 words with photos    £30.00 per annum

Businesses page:
Up to 25 words giving basic details                                                £10.00 per annum
Basic details plus link page of up to 250 words with photos    £30.00 per annum

Events page:
Up to 25 words giving basic details                                                £10.00 per event
Basic details plus link page of up to 250 words with photos    £10.00 per event


Q.   Are there any buses from the village ?
A.    There is a limited bus service operated by South West Coaches in Wincanton.   Details of current services (646) can be obtained from S.W.C. on 01935 475872 or

Q.  Where are the nearest train stations ?
A.    Main line stations can be found at Sherborne, Templecombe, Gillingham and Castle Cary

Q.   What primary and secondary schools are there in the area ? CLICK HERE FOR CHARLTON HORETHORNE PRIMARY SCHOOL’S LATEST NEWSLETTER

A.     Charlton Horethorne has its own highly rated primary school, Charlton Horethorne C. of E. Primary School. Full information on the school can be obtained either by calling the School Operations Manager, Mrs. Katherine Vaughan, on 01963 220345 or by consulting the school’s website

The Local Education Authority is based in County Hall in Taunton and the secondary school serving pupils from Charlton Horethorne is King Arthur’s Community School in Wincanton.
Other state and private, primary and secondary schools can be found in Sherborne, Wincanton and Bruton.

Q. Which Local Authority covers Charlton Horethorne ?
The parish of Charlton Horethorne is within Area East of South Somerset District Council and has its own Parish Council which meets monthly in Charlton Horethorne Village Hall.   Minutes of the meetings are posted on the village notice board.   The Parish Council website address is
South Somerset District Council has it Head Office in Brympton Way, Yeovil (01935 462462) or ) and the Wincanton Customer Access Point (customers can access on-line services and use the phone link if they require assistance) is in Churchfield, Wincanton (01935 462462).
South Somerset District Council comes under Somerset County Council and information on services provided by the County can be obtained from County Hall, Taunton (0300 123 2224 or ).

Q. Where can I find out information about medical services in the area ?
 Advice on health and medical services in Somerset is available from NHS Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group Headquarters in Lufton Way, Yeovil (01935 384000 or )

Q. When is refuse collected in Charlton Horethorne ?
 South Somerset Waste Partnership – contact (or South Somerset District Council via the contact details given above ) – provide black wheelie bins for waste domestic material and boxes and bags for recycling material free of charge and green wheelie bins for garden waste at an annual charge.   Black wheelie bins for domestic waste material are collected every three weeks, green wheelie bins for garden waste are collected fortnightly and all recycling is collected weekly. Details on regular collection days and Bank Holiday variations can be found on the above website or by calling South Somerset District Council on 01935 462462.

Q.   What library facilities are there in the area ?
Libraries can be found in Yeovil, Sherborne and Wincanton, with Yeovil having a full range of services including reference and music.   The Taunton Mobile Library visits Charlton Horethorne once every 4 weeks on Wednesdays between 11.00 and 11.30 a.m. at The Kings Arms car park.   The scheduled date for the next visit is Wednesday 11th October 2023.    For further information, please visit or call 0300 1232224

Q. I am elderly and cannot always arrange transport to, say, the doctor.   Is there any help available in Charlton Horethorne ?
Transport can be provided, via the Village Help Scheme, for those in need where other means are unsuitable or unavailable.   This is run on a voluntary basis and new volunteers for the Scheme are always welcome.   If you require assistance or would like to volunteer, please contact Tony Magson on (01963) 220626 or 07976 714498.

A. There is a mobile Post Office van which visits Charlton Horethorne three times a week.   The mobile facility offers all the usual services, including banking, inland and overseas mailing, car tax and foreign currency.   The Post Office van is situated in The King’s Arms car park on Monday between 9.30 a.m. and 12.30 p.m., Tuesday between 2.00 p.m. and 4.45 p.m. and Thursday between 9.15 a.m. and 12.30 p.m.

Q. There was mention of the Millennium Green elsewhere on the website – can you tell me more ?
A.   The Millennium Green was established in the year 2000 to provide a public open space for all the village.   Located either via the driveway to De Combe House in the centre of the village or via a public footpath off Water Lane, the Millennium Green is a lovely place to walk or sit, overlooking the pond, or to take young children to use the various play equipment.   The Green is managed by a board of Trustees and to find out more about its use or to volunteer to help in maintaining the Green, please contact Simon Purcell, Chairman of Trustees on 01963 220221 or by email to

Village Hall

Q.  How do I arrange a licence to sell alcohol at an event I want to organise in the Village Hall?
A.  Check with the Booking Secretary when making your initial booking as licensing arrangements vary from time to time. (Contact details on Village Hall page.)

Q.  Are there any restrictions on who can hire the Hall and what events can be organised there ?
A.  The Hall cannot be hired by anyone under the age of 21 and any event involving people younger than 21 must be supervised at all times by a suitable number of responsible adults.   In addition, music and noise must be kept to an acceptable level, both to meet the terms of the Hall’s Entertainment Licence and to ensure continuing good relations with the Hall’s neighbours.   All music must end by 11.30 p.m.

Q.  Is there a scale of charges for the use of different parts of the Hall ?
A.  Yes.   Please see Booking Form and Conditions of Hire (Village Hall page) and, in the event of a query or specific requirement, please discuss this with the Booking Secretary.

Q.  Is it possible to hire chairs, tables, cutlery etc. for events being held elsewhere ?
A.  Yes.   All requests are dealt with on an individual basis and charges will relate to the amount of equipment being hired, the duration of the hiring, the type of event for which the equipment is being hired etc.   Please contact the Booking Secretary to discuss. (Contact details on Village Hall page.)