Charlton Horethorne is a scenic traditional Somerset village, close to the Dorset border, which falls within the jurisdiction of the South Somerset District Council and has its own Parish Council. The village’s name first appears in 950 AD, although there is evidence in the area of prehistoric settlement, and the church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Charlton Horethorne dates from around 1100 AD. There are approximately 300 dwellings in the parish housing around 650 residents, some of whom were born in the parish and some who have moved to this most attractive part of the world for work or family reasons.
Charlton Horethorne is extremely fortunate in having a thriving pub and hotel, village shop, primary school and numerous small businesses as well as an ever-increasing number of groups and clubs organising a wide range of activities, often with the support of the very active Charlton Horethorne Village Hall Committee.
We hope the following pages provide you with an overview of what this beautiful village has to offer.