Because of the unusual construction of the church it is possible that the site of the current church in Charlton Horethorne was used as a place of worship before the conversion of the West Saxons in the 7th century. Dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, it is likely that the first stone building was built around 1100 AD. The building was enlarged in the 14th century with the far end of the chancel and the tower being added in the 15th century. There was major restoration carried out in the 19th century together with the installation of the lych gate and the current church organ. The church has a peal of eight bells, the earliest dating from the 14th century. A fuller description of the church and its history can be found in a leaflet available at a small charge in the church.
An award-winning Parish Magazine is published throughout the year providing parishioners with information on services and a wide variety of parish events.
To receive a copy or to provide a contribution, please contact the Editor: Lucy Beney, 01963 220550 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on church services, gaining access when the church is closed or to offer assistance with cleaning and/or flower arranging please contact the church wardens:
Mr. Charlie Beney, Churchwarden, Charlton Horethorne – 01963 220550
Pro-warden, Stowell – Vacant post
For all other church matters, including arranging Christenings, Weddings and Funerals, please contact the Rev Sarah Godfrey at The Vicarage, Bathwell Lane, Milborne Port, Somerset DT9 5AN.
Tel: 01963 250248 (email@example.com) or Mr. Beney as above
Please also see the benefice’s own website www.milborneportchurches.org.uk